Our Intention for Every Child
Our Lady Queen of Heaven Primary School aims to provide a Catholic Christian education based on the life and teaching of Jesus Christ, in which the values of the Gospel underpin all aspects of school life. We provide opportunities for children to develop as independent, confident, successful learners with high aspirations; children who know how to make a positive contribution to their community and wider society. There is high focus on developing children’s moral, spiritual, social and cultural understanding. The school aims to ensure that all the children are well prepared for modern life in Britain.
Our Lady Queen of Heaven provides a highly inclusive environment where all learners at all levels are encouraged and supported to achieve their potential within a culture of high expectation, independence and resilience.
We ensure that children are happy, stimulated and challenged so that they can make progress across the curriculum, and beyond, to achieve the highest standards and goals possible. Children are taught by teachers with high expectations who plan a curriculum that is interesting, relevant and ensures high quality work and outcomes.
From the outset, children will develop high expectations of themselves in terms of their learning; they will be encouraged to be independent learners as well as working cooperatively with others. They will develop supportive and nurturing skills towards their peers and younger pupils as well as organisational skills to support their own learning.
As part of this Statement of Intent we have outlined below examples of how the school will enrich the curriculum in order to give all pupils the opportunity to excel and ensure that they are stimulated by their learning and motivated to learn more.
During the seven years at Our Lady Queen of Heaven Catholic Primary School, each child can expect to experience the following:
- Regular opportunities to share their achievements in assemblies and other whole school events.
- Regular opportunities to contribute to their learning and be involved in decision-making that effects the whole school either through school council, eco council, faith council and pupil perception surveys.
- Opportunities to represent the school through sporting, musical or drama events.
- A wide range of clubs and extracurricular activities.
- An opportunity to play a musical instrument.
- The opportunity to join a choir (KS2).
- The opportunity to join an orchestra (KS2).
- Regular opportunities to work with the local community.
- The opportunity to be a peer mentor, where older pupils support younger pupils in reading and writing.
- The opportunity to undertake cycling proficiency.
- Opportunities to perform plays and other dramatic and musical performances, including the support of those who find this challenging.
- Opportunities to learn though practical, hands-on, investigative activities – growing fruit and vegetables, cooking, etc.
During the seven years at Our Lady Queen of Heaven Catholic Primary School each child can expect to experience the following visits and visitors to the school.
- The opportunity to work alongside a professional writer or story teller each – KS1 and KS2.
- The opportunity to work with a professional artist.
- A residential visit in year 4, 5 and 6.
- Visits that are linked to topics – at least one visit per term – KS1 and KS2.
- The opportunity to play in local sports tournaments throughout the year – KS2.
- Opportunities to perform in a concert hall – KS2.
- The opportunity to hear from past pupils who have excelled and can share their achievement.